Thursday, September 24, 2009

Civil War Days A Success

Friday, I sold two books to a reenactor. My thought might have been I should have skipped being there that day. My answer is no. First, I needed the practice, speaking on Ella Mayfield's behalf. The reenactors speak in first person. and the person had to be a real person during the Civil War. That was perfect since Ella Mayfield was living person during the war, and her story was true. (Ella Mayfield's Pawpaw Militia - A Civil War Saga In Vernon County Missouri) I didn't go into first person when I gave my presentation over and over, but I certainly had each prospective buyer's attention. Right away, I asked the man in charge if there were any other bushwhackers in the park. He yelled over to a group of Union soldiers, "Are there any bushwhackers here?" A soldier's reply was, "What's a bushwhacker?" My response to the man in charge was, "You have one here now. These reenactors are in serious need of an education, and I'm here to give them one."

Second, I developed a following of students that came back over the weekend to talk to me again. One girl brought her mother over to buy a book. If there is one thing I'm proud of, it's that my books can be read by any age. The story lines are wholesome, because that is the type of book I like to read myself.

I suspect on Friday it took the reenactors some time to get used to me. When they stopped to talk, I was in period dress, but I made it clear I wasn't just trying to sell books. I had a story of my own to tell and was well versed about my potion of the Civil War between Missouri and Kansas. What this story needed was a human aspect to it. They should hear about the hardships and killings that befell homesteaders in that area that had no control over a war that was happening around them.

Saturday and Sunday, the public came. I had a good location at the beginning of their tour, sandwiched between a photographer's tent full of 1800's costumes and the consession stand. The public had to walk by me, eat near me and get their pictures taken next to me. They couldn't miss my posters which made them curious enough to stop. Once they did, I gave a brief synopsis of each of my books and ended with the Civil War story.

Saturday at the end of the day, I and my son walked through the reenactors camp sites and talked to people. I wanted a feel for the passion these people have that makes them do the reenactments all summer. They shared so many stories with me over the weekend. I loved hearing their tales.

This was one of those one things that leads to another event. I was approached by a woman who is writing a book. She has a blog which she asks other people who write to guest blog on. Now I have an invitation to be a guest blogger. A woman from a small town nearby asked me to come speak and sell books at her church group "The Golden Girls" meeting. A newspaper reporter came to take pictures of the school children Friday. She stopped to talk to me. So I'm hopeful I might have a brief mention in her article.

At the end of Sunday, the reenactors had a First Person skit or contest. Someone told me about it at the time the event was happening. Afterward, a reenactor came by and told me he would like to see me enter next year. I was flattered to have been accepted as part of their group. That offer told me I must have done something right. The catch was the man said he wanted me to play Mary. I said Mary who? Mary Lincoln of course. But I would have to have a hoop skirt and fancy dress to be the first lady. I replied, "I thought Mary was crazy. Are you trying to tell me something?" He laughed as he said only that I would be good at the part. Since I'm already set up with my pioneer dress I told him I would rather stick to being a homesteader. I'm thinking an insightful look at Ella in front of a crowd might get me more sales. I can't wait to go back next year to be Ella all over again and see if the invatation goes even if I don't play Mary Lincoln.


To sum it up, I had a very successful book sale at the Civil War Days in Belle Plaine, Iowa. The preparations I made to catch prospective buyers attention as they walked by my table paid off. From posters to period dress and my knowledge of the Civil War, I sparked attention and interest. The fact that I was the author of the books and signed them impressed the buyers. My Civil War book helped give me an introduction for being there and lead to people buying my other books. I was well pleased with this event and am looking forward to a repeat performance. My Civil War book turned out to be a hit with the reenactors as well. Word of mouth from one reenactor to another brought me many sales. Now those books will go back to Minnesota, Wisconsin and around Iowa. Hopefully, I should get more sales from the reenactors as well as other buyers I gave bookmarkers.

Now I have to bake a cake. This is my mother-in-law's 89 birthday. Tonight we're going to Belle Plaine and help her celebrate. Next entry I make, I'm going to do some bragging on her. She's the perfect mother-in-law. Every wife should be as lucky as I have been.
Gotta go,
booksbyfay
Fay Risner
http:www.buysellcommunity/booksbyfaystore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment