Sunday, April 29, 2018

Mila's Baby Quilt

I have a large extended family which means lots of cousins, and they are all special to me. One of my cousins kept in touch with me by phone which was always a delight. I loved to hear her voice and catch up on what she had been doing. She suddenly passed away two years ago May 2nd. Her going so sudden was a shock to her family, and I miss talking with her. The first of April this year, I received word from that cousin's sister, who I email often and have been to visit, about a new baby in the family belonging to a granddaughter of the cousin who passed. We both knew that Ginger would be so proud of her great-grandchild. I wanted to do something for the parents of baby Mila and to express my thoughts in story form about a member of the family that we all miss. In about ten days time, I put the quilt together and a story to go with it, because it was something that I could do not only for the baby but for my cousin.
Every quilt has a story. With older quilts, the story has been lost in time with the quilt maker. This quilt is as new as you are to this world, Mila. My connection to your family is on the Bright side. In my growing up years, I played with your Great Grandma Ginger, Uncle Mike, and Great Aunt Sandy. They along with your great great grandparents Buck and Lois Bright hold a special place in my heart as part of your family and mine. We all have maybe at least one talent. Something I could do to show you how special you are to all of your family is to make this quilt as a reminder of those who can't be here to hold you. I hope you enjoy this quilt as much as I enjoyed making it for you. The ladies on this quilt are a reminder of the strong, hardworking women in your family. The quilt maker was your great great grandmother Lois Nichols Bright. The barefoot woman with the chicken could easily have been Grandma Lois Bright or your great-grandmother Ginger and Great Aunt Sandy. Your family has a rural background in the Olive Branch Community where Grandma Lois's mother, Louise Nichols, was a rural school teacher and Louise's mother was a nurse and midwife for the area. Some of the women represent family gatherings at holidays such as an Easter egg hunt, springtime in May with a basket of flowers, 4th of July with fireworks at night, Halloween which is such fun whether it be children wearing the costumes to go door to door or the grownups handing out the candy, and Christmas which was always a joyful time with large family meals and gift giving. You have been blessed with loving parents and proud, loving Grandma Marla. When you're older they can share their family memories with you so you know, Mila, you have a branch on a great family tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment