Sunday, June 14, 2009

Grass Roots

Hopefully though we got an inch of rain night before last, we might get our hay made this afternoon. As I walked to the mailbox after the hay was cut, it occurred to me that had to be one of the better scents in the country. Even better than fresh mowed lawn. There is a sweetness in the air from the clover and alfalfa plants that only enhances as the hay dries.
I've lived my whole life in the country. It takes a particular smell or sight sometimes to bring back memories that go way back. Memories of hard working people that were a part of my family. It is memories like those that encourage me to write about country and small town life. With any luck, we will be able to bail our hay this afternoon late and put it on the hay conveyor and stack it in the barn loft. I will be itchy and scratched from dried hay stems, smudged with dust and smelling of sweat. How country is that?
Gotta Go,
Booksbyfay
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
booksbyfay@yahoo to buy my books

No comments:

Post a Comment