Friday, July 31, 2009

Honey Without Bees

As I switch between putting out the word about my latest book A Promise Is A Promise and work at the every day tasks I've been thinking about how much like the Amish my world is in some ways. Work wise that is. I don't profess to be as devout as they are in their faith.
Yesterday I studied the tall clover in our hayfield and remembered a 150 year old recipe I hadn't dusted off in years. Honey without Bees. We hear much about honey bees dying and no one knows why. That not only means a loss of honey but pollination for all our crops. I have no idea of knowing why the recipe for honey I have was devised by pioneers. I do know that my honey tastes very similar to the real thing the bees make. You have to collect clover and wild roses from a place that hasn't been sprayed with poison. Collect 45 red clover blossoms, 45 white clover blossoms and 25 rose flowers. Wash them and put in a large pan with a teaspoon of powdered alum and 10 cups of sugar and add 2 cups of water. Stir up and heat until the mixture comes to a rolling boil for 3 minutes. Strain the honey through a cloth. Makes 2 quarts. Wonder if Amish people know about my recipe.
Today I put 10 quarts of sweet corn in the freezer. On a hot day canning is no fun, but our Iowa weather has been very pleasant all summer. I've always enjoyed preserving what we raise. I like it even better to partake of my labors in winter months. We are blessed to have good food all year around.
I'm working on a new website now to be my bookstore for all my books. My bookstore is at www.booksbyfay.esmartbiz.com. I hope to have it up and running soon.
Gotta go
booksbyfay
Fay Risner
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
booksbyfay@yahoo to order my books or
Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Fay. I used to have this honey recipe in an Amish cookbook. I've been hunting for it. Your site is the only place I've found it. I wonder if it will work without Alum.

    ReplyDelete