Thursday, August 6, 2009

Honey Without Bees

Before my husband cut the hay field I collected the ingredients to a 200 year old recipe - Honey Without Bees. Since I'm in to everything Amish I wonder if the Amish people have this recipe. I do know it might come in handy for folks who like to use honey since honey bees are dying for an unknown reason. That is a serious problem. All plants and trees need pollination if we are going to have an abundance of food to eat.
Recipe - Bees Without Honey
45 red clover blossoms - 45 white clover blossoms - 25 wild rose blossoms - 1 tsp of powdered alum and 10 cups of sugar. Bring all to a boil in a large pan and boil three minutes. Not longer or the honey is too thick. Strain through cloth or cheesecloth and you have two quarts of honey.
Just make sure to pick the flowers from plants that haven't been sprayed with pesticide. I knew my hayfield was safe and I happen to have large wild rose bushes in a flower bed by the house. Wild roses are just that wild flowers along side the roads in Iowa and in pastures. In fact that is the state flower.
Just starting to advertise my new Amish book - A Promise Is A Promise.
Here is the back cover
Fay Risner takes readers on an emotional journey into a tender, original story set int he rolling hills of southern Iowa. a story that is heartwarming, romantic and a mystery. Home Health Nurse Hal Linstrom is assigned Amish widower John Lapp. She offers to stay with his children while he is in the hospital. Fifteen year old Emma takes care of the household. Her two younger brothers are handling the dairy operation. Hal soon realizes that Emma suffers from depression. Noah is withdrawn, and Daniel is so troubled he sleepwalks outside, looking for his dead mother. Drawn to this needy family, Hal discovers they have a secret swept under their proverbial Amish rag rug. The more she tries to help them the deeper she is sucked into the family's problem. Finally, Emma makes Hal promise to stop trying to unravel the family's tragic secret before it's too late. Hal agrees. When her future happiness is at stake, she wishes she hadn't, but a promise is a promise.
Tip for the day
Ebay isn't such a bad place to advertise a book on the budget plan. For 15 cents a week, my books are looked at by many and I even sell a few. There is a place to start.
Gotta Go
Booksbyfay
Fay Risner
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
www.twitter/booksbyfay
booksbyfay@yahoo.com for information or if you would like to buy one of my books which by the way are on my bookshelf by my blog thanks to shelfari

No comments:

Post a Comment