Friday, April 3, 2009

Critiques are useful

I received two critiques about the next book that I am releasing soon. One reviewer told me what I needed to edit and watch out for as far as mistakes go in the first five chapters. Too late of course. I had an editor go over the book and have already remedied the errors. The other reviewer didn't say a thing about mistakes. That one said the five chapters made the reader want to read more to see what happened. Both reviewers thought the premise of the book was original. Maybe I have hit on something that hasn't been done when telling the story about the Amish. If readers like my book, I think it would be great to make a series about the characters.
No matter who edits a book, I have seen errors in published books. It is so easy to see those errors when you read if you are looking for them in another person's work. When it is something you wrote, your brain skips over the mistakes. That is just the unfortunate way it is. So because I self publish there might be a slight editing error in a place or two. When I've asked buyers about this, I get told they love my stories so much that they are so anxious to read on that they don't pay attention to errors. That doesn't detract from the story for the readers. Now that makes me feel good. Do I want a perfect book? You bet I do. Am I ever going to have one? only time will tell. Sent for my ISBN number and Library of Congress application today so have at least that long to go over my story. joined www.allvoices.com/journalism on the advice of a person who has read this blog. Thanks for the kind words from that person.
Gotta go
booksbyfay
Fay Risner
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
booksbyfay@yahoo to buy my books from me
www.amazon.com to buy my books
Lemstone Christian Bookstore in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to buy my two non fiction Alzheimer's books for caregivers "Open A Window" and "Hello Alzheimer's Good Bye Dad"
www.camppope to buy my Civil War fiction book
www.bushwhackermuseum to buy my Civil War fiction book "Ella Mayfield's Pawpaw Militia"
www.bookorphanage to buy my mystery book "Neighbor Watchers"

No comments:

Post a Comment