Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Roadtrip to Kalona

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Windy as usual but sunny. We drove an hour away to the biggest Amish settlement west of the Mississippi River or so the handouts told us. We looked at some antique stores and marveled at a showroom full of Amish quilts. I love to quilt but I never will ever be able to make the tiny stitches used in those quilts. We ate at a grocery store/deli ran by Amish. We had planned to go to an Amish store that had bulk items out in the country but the woman at the Visitor's center said we picked the wrong day. Wouldn't you know! Well a week from now on Saturday is a quilt show that I have heard about for years in the Kalona Community Building. I want to go back. We drove in the country and saw buggies coming and going. The Amish wanted to be out and about as bad as we did. Most farms had a wash blowing on the line of white and pastel clothes. On the porch swaying in the breeze were black dresses on hangers hung from the porch ceiling. I suppose the lady of the house didn't trust her good dresses to the Iowa breeze. Now until this morning, I had not tried hanging out clothes. I thought about how fresh those Amish clothes would smell and how soft the cotton material would feel after whipping all day. Every time I started for the door my husband would say it was too windy outside. I only saw one garment on the ground out of all that laundry. So this time I sneaked past my husband and out the door. I've checked several times and so far the clothes are on the line. Now it's time to bring them in so I can smell fresh, soft clothes. While I was in Amish Country I took note of how farms looked and bought two books on the Amish. More research right at the source.
Gotta go fill the laundry basket,
Fay Risner
booksbyfay
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
booksbyfay@yahoo to contact me about buy my books
www.amazon to buy any of my books

No comments:

Post a Comment