Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cheer Up Spot In A Gray Day

If I could predict how a day would go, I'd have said yesterday was going to be a dreary, uneventful day with a snowstorm to finish it off. Boy was I wrong!
About a week ago, I had been to town and stopped in the drug store. As with most small towns, I've lived here long enough to know almost everyone. For instance, the woman behind the counter is one I know well. She laughingly called me a author as I paid for my purchase.
"You've read some of my books?" I asked.
"No, I'm not into Alzheimer's stories," she admitted.
So I say, "There are others like the mysteries with an Iowan female snoop (in more ways than one) like Miss Marple. The Belle Plaine Library has three of my books. Go in and ask for that one. It's called "Neighbor Watchers." ISBN 1438246072
Another clerk said, "What else have you written?"
That lead to me describing my story "Hello Alzheimer's Good Bye Dad." I told her that book was in the library, too.
Now the plan yesterday was to make a trip after a few supplies before the storm hit. We fooled around long enough that the large, fluffy flakes sifted down on us so sparse they came one at a time. I knew that wouldn't last. Soon we would be dumped on so I should hurry up and get home.
I'm in the drugstore again, expecting to get in and out fast. The clerk says, "Still haven't got to check out one of your books, but I will."
The other clerk said, "I have your book about your dad and I love it. I'm about half way through it."
"That's great!"
"My mother-in-law has dementia and we think she may get Alzheimer's. The book really interests me."
So I suggested I would be glad to bring her in a paper version of "Open A Window" ISBN 1438244991. I sold the books for years and they are being used to train CNAs and in a Health class at a high school. Now I have the book published and on Amazon so I have a few copies of the other book left. It would be good to see them go to a good cause.
Now I am on the way out the door, knowing that hubby has his hair cut over with and I need to get to the car.
A woman came out the drug store door right behind me. "You write books?"
"Yes."
She whispers as she looks around like she's on some spy mission. "My husband has written a book. I wondered if I could talk to you about how you published yours."
That's all it took to have me rush through publisher name and different computer programs to make up the book and what else I could think of on the spur of the moment. She said she would never remember all of that so we exchanged emails.
Am I an expert all of a sudden? No way, but I like sharing what I know from my experiences. What fun to find someone in this small town who has written a book and is on their way to new experiences with their manuscript. By the time I told the woman good bye, snow was swirling over the pavement. The haze was thick in the air as I slipped into my car. I didn't care. What a cheer up those few moments had been in that gray day.

No comments:

Post a Comment