Friday, February 20, 2009

Writing Passion is no Mystery

If you like to write, you know you have a passion for putting words in the computer or on paper as often as you can. The writing passion is no mystery to me. I've been doing it for years. What really got me started wanting to write a book was when I saw there wasn't much education for relatives of people who have Alzheimer's disease. I worked in a nursing home for years as a CNA. Just retired two months ago. In 2000, I wrote "Open A Window". Examples of what to do when the caregiver is faced with a particular situation. There is an excerpt on my website.
I had the books printed and sold them at the nursing home and in the area. Word of mouth spread and some of my books wound up at a Social Worker conference in Ames Iowa. One social worker gave her book to a RN training CNAs and she bought three more to donate to the nursing homes where she trained the CNAs. In all I have six places that use the book. Now I have self published and the book can be bought on www.amazon.com and from the Lemstone Christian Book Store in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
In March 26, I am going to the local high school and talk to two health classes about how to care for residents in the nursing home when they have Alzheimer's disease. The instructor uses one of my books to help teach her class. To know that future long term care health care workers will be using my experiences to help others makes me think my passion for writing was worth it.
Booksbyfay
Fay Risner
Keystone, Ia
website www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
email booksbyfay@yahoo.com
www.twitter/booksbyfay

No comments:

Post a Comment