Sunday, February 15, 2009

Own A Website

Research into promotions and marketing is a must if a self published author intends to sell a book and in my case fifteen of them. I searched out every available keyword on the Internet that would give me a clue as to where I should start and continue to advertise my books.
Several years ago before I even had a clue that I could publish my own books and even with rejection slips piling up, I had a passion to keep trying. A person that figures on being a published author should have a website. That's one of the questioned asked by Publishers. So why not get at it? I did have two books I could advertise. One was my paper version of "Open A Window" that I had sold in my area. The other was a Lamb Cookbook that I wrote for the local sheep producer group years ago as a fund raiser. We did quite well in selling that but I still had a box full in my way. Whether the cookbook sold or not really didn't matter to me. That was book two in a list that made it look like I was a viable author.
I tried several different free hosts and found I wasn't computer smart enough to figure out how to set up on their website. I'd work for hours and never come up with a first page. Finally, I found tripod and that host has instructions that make a website easy to design. I have several pages which you can check out. First is pictures of my newly published books. There is a page of links, one of my home and animals, another of my accomplishments in long term health care and short story contests and excerpts from my books. Fans can get to know me. I wasn't sure how this would go over so I signed up for a Yahoo email so that email would recieve messages seperate from my regular email address. One thing I needed was a title for the website. I choose Booksbyfay. That has served me well as I signed up for everything available to a author. When I sign with Booksbyfay on other websites, it brings the search to my website as well. So keep that in mind when you're picking a website title. Make it one you can continue to use so the title ends up in search words.
Website is www.booksbyfay.tripod.com

Problem - I didn't pay for a domain site. For years getting to my website was hard to do. Google didn't carry me. Yahoo did find me if you were asked if you really wanted to go there. Once I signed up for the Yahoo email that may have helped me get notice for my website. Now I find since I have so much advertising on the search engines my website comes up easier. I just had to have patience. So go for it. Get your own website. Want to ask me questions? Email me
Booksbyfay
Author Fay Risner
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
email booksbyfay@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment