Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dreary Day

Light rain is falling outside my window. Temp is 38 degrees. Dampness makes it feel much colder. I find myself looking forward to a day when the temp is 80 and with humidity and the weather man says it feels like 90.
I'm working on some short stories for contests I've entered for years. Arkansas Writers' Conference. There's a long list of poems and story contests to be entered for one fee. I've been fortunate enough to place most years. I love the competition of trying with other writers to see where I stack up. With so many stories, I decided to turn them into three small books. One is "A Teapot, Ghosts, Bats & More. Another is westerns - "Wild West Tales and the third is essays about women I have known and admired in my life time titled "Butterfly And Angel Wings. Now I'm working on a whole new set of stories to turn into another book in a few years. These books are on Amazon. Put Fay Risner in the author search. My whole library will come up.
I sell my books from home so I can sign them, too. Yesterday I went to the post office in town to mail a box. Ran into my former boss, Sue Meyer, administrator of the nursing home. I retired from my job as a CNA on Dec. 31. I like to say I quit so I could be a writer. Some would say that is a pipe dream except at my time in life the adventure is a fun one. I don't have to depend on selling my work to make a living. My biggest fan may be Sue Meyer. All along she has supported my writing and pushed me to try getting books out to the public. Since she hadn't seen me for about six weeks, first thing she wanted to know was did I have another book out that she hadn't read. Sure I do. In five weeks I wrote a book that while I was working would have taken me months. I entered the story in Amazon's self publishing author breakthrough contest. In March I will know if I made the first cut. If I didn't I will send the manuscript to publishers. If I'm rejected I now have the option to self publish and buyers that are waiting for the next book. "A Promise Is A Promise" An Amish Love Story. State tune for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment