Thursday, February 19, 2009

Family Trees

I took a day off from this blog yesterday. Fact was I forgot all about it because I was so absorbed in what I was doing. The Internet is a great way to start family reunions. In the old days when I was small, we had real family reunions and family gatherings were on holidays or Sundays in nice warm weather when travel was easy. I grew up knowing and enjoying the company of Great Aunts, Great Uncles, Aunts, Uncles, great grandparents, grandparents and a score of cousins. So now we live in the computer age and do everything over the Internet including reunions. Yesterday, I helped a third cousin work on her family tree to fill in the blanks with pictures and stories about my side the family. I was blessed to have a mother who liked pictures. They are a really good way to jog the memory. Putting a cd in the computer and waiting for it to come up while someone stands over your shoulder isn't nearly as much fun as sitting on a couch with a large scrap book on your laps while you chat about the relatives of days gone by. Not that I was doing that. The conversation was via email and the pictures too. Just going over the pictures and discussing the family brings back such wonderful memories of when we were a close loving family. People lived close enough to have reunions. From my generation into the future, people move so far away, have two jobs and are so busy they get disconnected from family trees. If you really want to pass down to your children their background and stories to go with it find a relative like me and get busy before it's too late. Our history is as important as where we are heading because the ancestors are who made us the person we are today.
Booksbyfay
Fay Risner
Keystone, Iowa
www.booksbyfay.tripod.com
www.twitter/booksbyfay

No comments:

Post a Comment